Job Description;ENGINEERING MANAGER
Reports To: General Manager
The Engineering and Operations Manager is accountable for the overall leadership and performance
of the engineering and technical operations of TV Channel (including the emerging technologies).
1. Efficient and effective Operations
- Management and leadership of the department
- Effective operations – optimise resources
- Performance measures established and monitored
- Develop, update and monitor procedures
- Recommend and monitor staff training and development
2. Reliable broadcast services:
- TVs broadcast digital ICT and other technical facilities maintained
- Disaster recovery
- Customer satisfaction service levels
- Test and monitor systems for reliability and functionality levels
- Scheduled and emergency maintenance of technical equipment;
- Develop and manage a risk management plan engineering (including disaster recovery)
3. Technical / engineering applications those are up-to-date and appropriate:
- Research and recommend new and emerging technology, especially digital ICT
- Prepare business proposals / plans for new technology-driven services
4. Equipment and services commissioned:
- Manage projects from inception to completion
- Procurement processes and procedures
- Installation, testing and commissioning of equipment and services
5. Compliant Engineering and Operations Department
- Operational compliant: TV Group procedures
- Statutory compliance: - Laws and regulations including OH&S
- Reporting requirements
6. Strategic direction for engineering services department:
- Strategic plan for engineering and emerging technology
- Long term operational plan maintained
7. Uphold image and value standards demonstrated at all times.
Responsibilities - Key Competencies
- Translate the strategic direction into action-oriented strategies and plans.
- Manage performance levels against set deliverables.
- Implement and manage a risk assessment program.
- Develop an operations plan to define specific objectives.
- Schedule resources over multiple work teams or units to maximise their effectiveness and achieve objectives; monitor the outcomes.
- Undertake defined modifications/reviews to procedures; Draft manuals/instructions.
- Achieve the vision by establishing clear objectives and empowering units to achieve.
- Ensure work delegated is completed in an effective and timely manner, accepts accountability.
- Address the wider implications, consequences or causal relationships in a non-routine problem
- Analyse a problem and develop the solution using standard procedures and methods – technical specialist.
- Identify technological resources and evaluate them for accuracy and suitability.
- Develop specific planned maintenance procedures and programmes to maintain equipment, plant or vehicles in efficient working order.
- Preferred-Degree Engineering - Telecommunications, Electronics or IT
- Desirable-Master’s Degree Technical (IT or advanced/emerging electronics)
Work Knowledge and Experience
- Considerable practical Engineering experience in a similar field - preferably Television media
- Experience in managing engineering projects to a successful conclusion - both in-house and contracted.
- Membership of a relevant professional association
Regulatory Compliance Requirements
- Drivers licence
- License to work on Tower Structures
- Board members
- Executive Management
- Managers and senior key employees
- Equipment providers
- Project Contractors and principals.
- Regulators Fiji, PNG and other Pacific Islands Countries
- Satellite service providers
- Assumes full responsibility for own actions and identifies with the success or failure of own part of the overall work/goal
- Puts in effort to achieve a desired result or goal and is motivated by this end and the overall accomplishment.
- Attends to the small elements of a task/activity, ensuring completeness and accuracy.
- Shows keen insight and understanding of issues or situations.
- Shows concern for facts and reality, rejecting the impractical
- Enjoys being with others as part of a group or team
- Queries, tests information/beliefs and provokes thought
- Reaches conclusions, promptly and firmly
- Is controlled in conduct, shows an orderly pattern of behaviour, following a methodical and thorough approach
- Takes action and makes decisions without the help or advice of other people
John [at] axsonconsulting [dot] com